Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Calm Before the Storm

I didn't think there was any chance that I was going to be able band today with a huge weather system barrelling its way towards us.  But when I woke up this morning and checked the wind outside - it was actually calm, not the 20mph gusts that were forecasted.  The rain had not reached us yet but it was looming near. As any of the banding assistants will tell you, if there is a window in which I can band, I will, even if it is only for an hour or two.  This morning I was able to get a little over 3 hours in before the rain started but not before banding 10 new birds and recapturing 10 more of 5 different species.         

The Impending Doom
The left most red pin is KIBS. 

Tomorrow appears to be a wash with rain continuing through the early morning hours and predicted wind speeds between 25-30mph. 

- Aaron

10 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)

1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 Gray Catbird
4 Yellow-rumped Warbler
3 Northern Cardinal
1 Eastern Towhee

# of Birds Banded:  10
# of Recaptures:  10
# of Species:  5
Effort:  31.4 net-hours
Capture Rate:  63.7 birds/100 net-hours 
# of Nets:  9

No comments:

Post a Comment